Saturday, August 27, 2011

23?!?!

Not much profound to say today. Just a simple update...I live in Denton, TX now. I turned 23 on Tuesday, and my life looks nothing like I dreamed of as a little girl.
I remember when I hit 20....it was ROUGH. I somehow realized that when I was about 7 or 8, I truly believed that by 25 I would have a husband, 2 kids, a nice car, and a big ole house. At 20, I knew there was a great possibility that I would not yet have graduated from the Master's program I was planning on enrolling in by 25, none the less being married with all the American dream had to offer. I realized that the woman that little girl dreamed of would just have to wait. Maybe I could just save those dreams for when I'd be 30??
Thus, 23 comes with some realizations of its own. Not only will I not be graduated with my masters at 25....I'm not even getting a masters! I live in TEXAS, with my boss, his wife, and their four AMAZING children. (This sure puts a kink in that little girl's plan to raise her children in the same hometown she grew up in.) I have no plans of marriage anytime in the near future, none the less kids! My car is nice, but it was a great gift from my parents and the letters BMW are NOWHERE to be found on it.
You know what else comes with being 23? Realizing maybe I sold myself short at 7 or 8. Realizing that there are lots of 25-30 year olds who are busy building the life I dreamed of, and being let down when they realize it doesn't provide any of the satisfaction and fulfillment they were hoping for. Being 23 showed me that I wont have those things by 25, or 30....in fact, I may never have them. And, that maybe I don't want them so bad after all.
At 7 or 8, I didn't know to dream of living in someone else's home, watching them raise THEIR children. I didn't know I should want to live in a random city in a far away state, or that living on a tight budget so that I could serve the Lord with my life as He has called me to would be plenty. Disney movies didn't tell me that MY Prince Charming died on a cross about 2000 years ago, and that He wouldn't come sweeping me off my feet every night, because He was busy saving my soul every day.
At 7 or 8 I dreamed......but now that I think of it, it seems that God has just the right timeline, and just the right story to tell with my life. I'm not who I thought I would be at 23, and Praise Him for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment